Sunday, March 22, 2009

To 64-bit or not to 64-bit, that is my dilemma

If you're wondering why the loooong gap in blog postings, it's for several reasons, mostly personal.
To put it bluntly, I've been working and going to school non-stop for 2 years without a single break, and the stress of this semester coupled with fatigue, and personal matters, has broken me down.

However, I'm making every possible effort to catch up, and as of March 20 have caught up to my CIS701 and PHP701 classes. More work to be done, for sure.

For SBR600, I'm working on the gcc package. At the moment, I'm almost done installing the build requirements on the "Ireland" machine. One possible problem though, one of the required packages is only available in 64 bit (x86_64 package name suffix). Thus I'm installing 64 bit versions of all the packages, including the 64 bit source rpm for "gcc". At this point, I don't know if gcc can be built using a mix of 32 and 64 bit packages, so I'm trying for an all 64 bit version first.

Will keep you, the reader, up to date on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment